Saturday, July 30, 2011

Can Guinea Pigs Eat Pineapple?

In our recent review of bell peppers, we half-jokingly asked if there is a a competitive eating league for guinea pigs. As it turns out, there was recently a parsley-eating contest for guinea pigs! Unfortunately, it was all the way on the other side of the world, so there's no way we could have put our eating skills to the test. Also, parsley can be fed to guinea pigs 2-4 times per week; it probably would have been better to have an eating contest for piggies with a food that they can have almost daily, like cilantro or Belgian endives. Today, we're going to review a food that you should definitely not use if you are going to have an eating contest for piggies; pineapples should only be fed to piggies 1-2 times per week since they're high in sugar. Also, make sure you do not feed us the pineapple leaves.

I smell a new fruit! If I could climb over this cage, I would!
I'm liking it so far...

Okay, sick of that now. All yours, Buffy.

We're done. You can eat the remainder, humans.

Pineapple smelled good, but the taste is a little too strong for us. We'll give it 2/5 stars.

4 comments:

  1. thank you for your posts! very helpful! My Sammy says "pineapple is not my favourite food" He thinks its an enemy and ran away! silly Sammy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guinea pig butterscotch hesitated a little i had to hold it up to her for her to eat it.(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. I just cut up a fresh pineapple and my Dumbo is going crazy. He and his brother Milo are spoiled but they deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess pineapple does not make our mouths bleed? Our human was concerned about that.

    ReplyDelete